21 September 2010

Oban, Scotland

Blerg. Apparently most of the folks in my room were headed out on a tour or something this morning, because they all got up before 08:00, turned on the lights, and made shitloads of noise--including several different conversations & one guy using an electric razor--while getting ready. They were also eating something out of a tin, which they threw away, and it continued to make noise whenever they tossed anything else. Thanks guys!

Got up around 09:00, showered, and headed out the door. Despite the noisy morning & tired legs, I was able to get in all my goals for the day. I walked down to the station & got my tickets, then hiked up (and up, and up) to McCaig's Tower, which is kind of like a miniature version of the Colosseum, with a park/garden in the middle & a great view of the town & bay. The way back down wasn't nearly as bad (everybody says it's hard on your knees, but it's my Achilles tendons that are bugging me), and then I walked out north of town to Dunollie Castle. Other than the last little bit it was mostly level, but half of it or so was right along the road; along with street signs, the UK hasn't quite figured out that whole "shoulder" thing either. Again though, definitely worth the view. The stairs up to the second level are still intact, and apparently you can climb all the way to the top of the walls, but I wasn't feeling that brave/energetic. More pictures, lunch at a brew-pub, and then the main event: a tour of the Oban distillery. We had kind of a weird group this time, but a good guide. We also got to try some of the 10-year "cask strength" (about 63%, before they dilute it for sale), which I don't remember getting to do last time. It tasted similar to the 14-year stuff they sell, but the flavor was quickly overpowered by the burn from the alcohol. We also got to keep our tasting glasses, which definitely didn't happen last time. After the tour I picked up a nice etched crystal drinking glass as well; I was very tempted to pick up a bottle of the scotch as well (even after the exchange rate it was $15-20 cheaper than I can get it back home), but didn't really feel like hauling it around Europe for the next three weeks or so. Even though I've been told I packed light (I think I'm about average, based on what I've seen over here so far) and I'll I've picked up are the two glasses & a water bottle from the British Museum, I already feel like I'm hauling too much crap around.

Since then I've basically been bumming around the hostel. Finished up my postcards, got my laundry done (clean underwear FTW), read for awhile & got the nook charged back up for tomorrow. I'll be stuck in Glasgow for about 5 hours before my flight, so I'll need all the entertainment I can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment