Since I didn't really have much planned today I didn't get up & going 'til about 10:30. I decided to go out to the temple/stadium/theater complex; not really worth it unless you've got plenty of extra time like I did. The stadium is basically a much smaller but much better preserved version of the Circus Maximus, the theater is fairly small & built into the hill at one end of it, and the foundations & few remaining columns of the Temple of Apollo sat up on the hill above them. Plus, I managed to get lost for awhile on my way back. Even the newer section of Rhodes is kind of a maze: not all of the streets are marked, and not all of the streets that are marked show up on my map. At one point the street sign made me think I was almost as far north as you can get on the island, but based on the amount of time it took me to get back to where I wanted to be, there's no way that was possible.
Right now I'm waiting for either the rain to die down or an hour or so to pass; whichever comes first, I'm setting out to try & find the best way to the taxi station up on the north end of Old Town, then walking that route a few times (probably once after dark as well) in the hopes of remembering it tomorrow. The good news is, the taxis run 24 hours a day; the bad news is, I have to try catching one no later than 05:30 tomorrow... ouch. That is going to be a very long day.
No comments:
Post a Comment