The main goal for today was St. Mark's & the Doge's palace, and it was semi-accomplished. Thanks to the maze-like nature of Venice I ended up taking one of many possible "scenic routes," but eventually made it to the Piazza San Marco about 10:30. The tide was just getting started so most of the square was still dry, but there were already places you couldn't really walk. I got in line to go up the Campanile; unfortunately the only option was paying €8 to take the elevator to the top (pansies). It's a ripoff, but it was a tall building & I was already there, so I went for it. Good views of the city, if nothing else.
When I got to the bottom I stood in line to get into St. Mark's for about 10 minutes, at which point I found out that they were closed until noon for "religious purposes." Since it was 11:30 at the time I decided to grab an early lunch. Ended up with a slice of pizza (not nearly as good as what I had in Rome) & a hot dog-pretzel thingy from some random shop in one of the random streets a few blocks away from the Piazza, then wandered back (and through a puddle, which is when I found out that my shoes are more water resistant than water proof) there to sit down & eat. After that it was back in line for 30 minutes, until I found out that they wouldn't let you in with a backpack. I didn't really feel like walking half way across town to my hostel to drop it off & then walking back, so I said fuck it and walked around the puddles to the Doge's Palace. It was big, but not as impressive as I'd expect on the outside, and they wanted to charge me to see the inside, so I snapped a few pictures & then decided to write off Venice. Went back to the room & worked on postcards, then read until it was late enough to justify an early dinner at about 17:30.
I think I must have incredibly bad luck at picking Italian restaurants. Nothing I've had has been bad, but I honestly prefer the Olive Garden. I know they're Italian-trained, but I really expected better at the source, as it were.
No comments:
Post a Comment